Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Setting the record straight

"You're so noble for doing this"
NOBLE:
–adjective
1.
distinguished by rank or title. NOPE
2.
pertaining to persons so distinguished. NOPE
3.
of, belonging to, or constituting a hereditary class that hasspecial social or political status in a country or state; of orpertaining to the aristocracy. NOPE
4.
of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence; lofty:a noble thought. NOPE
5.
admirable in dignity of conception, manner of expression,execution, or composition: a noble poem. PERHAPS YOU ENJOY MY WRITING STYLE? OTHERWISE, NOPE.
6.
very impressive or imposing in appearance; stately;magnificent: a noble monument. NOPE
7.
of an admirably high quality; notably superior; excellent. NOPE
8.
famous; illustrious; renowned. NOPE


Turns out, we are NOT noble for choosing to adopt!



I know people mean well when they say these things. Really, I do. I get that a lot of people have it in their heads that they wouldn't consider adoption. Nope. No way. Never. Not gonna happen.

But the fact of the matter is, we aren't doing anything extraordinary. We aren't doing anything that should be amazing to people in any way. It's like that pilot who set the plane down in the Hudson. He was seen as inspiring. He was heroic. He was suddenly put on a pedestal, for what exactly?
Well, for doing what he's supposed to do.
He's a pilot. He's an incredibly good pilot, it turns out. His unbelievable skill at his craft saved a lot of lives that day. His ability to focus during a very stressful situation was something we'd all love to acquire.
But really, he was just doing what his job well. (And God bless him, because seriously, that was amazing.)


I'm hearing a lot of words lately. Words similar to what that pilot was hearing when he made that incredible landing. And, while I appreciate people's positivity, I feel compelled to stop you now.

The fact of the matter is, if you profess to be a Christian, if you follow scripture as your tool of faith, you, too, have received a similar message to our own.
There are multiple issues that God is vague about in the Bible. Sometimes, there is mention of some topic, but the interpretation is left up to the reader, the theologian, the person leading the sermon.

Caring for the widows and orphans, though? He's downright clearcut on His stance.
"The fatherless" are mentioned 41 times in the Old Testament.
God repeatedly makes promises to care for the oppressed, and administer justice to the oppressors.
Here's a list of verses and passages that give us a basis of knowing adoption is His will:
 Exercise caution not to mistreat them:
             1. Exod. 22:22-24
             2. Deut. 24:17-18
             3. Prov. 23:10
             4. Isa. 1:23-26
             5. Isa. 10:1-4
             6. Zech. 7:10
             7. Mal. 3:5
  Exercise opportunities to assist them:
             1. Deut. 14:28-29
             2. Deut. 24:19-22
             3. Job 29:12-13
             4. Job 31:16-23
             5. Ps. 82:3-4
             6. Isa. 1:17
             7. Jer. 7:6-7
             8. James 1:27
    Specific adoption-related Bible verses:

Exodus 22:22-24; Deuteronomy 10:18; Deuteronomy 14:28-29; Esther 2:7; Job 29:12;
Job 31:16-23; Psalm 10:18; Psalm 82:3-4; Psalm 146:9; Isaiah 1:17; Isaiah 1:23;
Isaiah 10:1-2; Jeremiah 49:11; Zechariah 7:10; Malachi 3:5; James 1:27



IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, YOU ARE CALLED to do something.

This is not an act of nobility. It is not an act of good citizenship. It is not something heroic, or even something to consider admirable.

We are, simply put, doing our job.

Can every person adopt? No.
Can more people adopt than those who choose to do so? Yes.
If you cannot adopt, can you still follow God's command? Yes.

When we stepped forward and said yes to adopting, we did so without a penny to spare. We did so knowing that, to some, we will look foolish. We will look as if we are thoughtless, frivolous, as if we have lost all sense of reason. After all, who commits to something that costs THAT MUCH MONEY without having a way to pay for it?

We stepped forward and said yes, knowing full well that it would require a village to fulfill our word.

But when we did so, we knew in our hearts that God was commanding us to act. He knocked, and we opened the door. We knew that we could answer to the world now, or answer to Him later, and we chose that we'd rather be foolish in the eyes of the world than foolish in the eyes of God.

So again I say, while we appreciate the positive words coming our way (because trust me, there is enough to get a person down that it is nice to be encouraged,) please, instead of "admiring" us, stop at think about what you could be doing.

You don't have to adopt to fulfill the command. Maybe you've been called to visit an orphanage instead. Maybe you are the source of income for another family to complete an adoption. Maybe you choose to help foster children (or become a foster family yourself.) Maybe you start an orphan ministry at your church (something greatly needed, from our own experience as well as others.)  Maybe you pray and advocate.
Whatever your charge, the point is, YOU have been called.

The estimate is that there are 147 MILLION ORPHANS in this world. These are the fatherless. These are the needy. These are the oppressed.

It's time for each and every one of us to act. We may not be able to save them all, but we won't save any unless we try.


But you do see the trouble and grief they cause. You take note 
of it and punish them. The helpless put their trust in you. You are the defender of orphans. Psalm 10:14


*List of Bible verses and facts copied from http://www.lifeissues.org/clergy/prot/resources/sermons/2005Sanctity.pdf

7 comments:

Lisa said...

You may not feel noble is the right word, and it may not be there are a lot of words I can think of to describe this journey you are on.

Courageous- I cannot imagine the courage it takes to climb out of the boat and keep your eyes on Jesus.

Faithful- You and Todd are demonstrating a huge amount of faith that our Lord will meet all your needs because he was the one that designed this journey

Patient- Not sure how you are handling this, I think I may have a nervous breakdown if I were in this situation.

I could go on with more words, but I hope you get the picture that I think you are pretty amazing.

Kelly said...

Love your post! And I love that dots are disappearing and the chip in is making some progress! I still don't know what I'm called to do but I'm still praying to figure that out. And I pray for your (entire) family every day and night.

Jamie said...

A perfect post.

Gentry said...

I just had to give you an "Amen!" to that. Very well said-blessed my heart.
Gentry
afamilyformaria.blogspot.com

Julia said...

I donated and Elisha will be one of the cuties I post about tomorrow if my dear husband puts it up while I am away with Aaron at Shriner's)....

Ellie said...

I really loved this post. I would love to put a link to it in a blog post of my own, if you would allow it. Let me know!
Elizabeth
www.moveanymountian.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Ellie, feel free to share this post. I'm glad it means something to you!