Monday, June 13, 2011

Another population in need

HIV+
I'll be honest. I used to hear of families adopting children who are HIV+, and I really couldn't understand it. Weren't they putting their bio children at risk? Wasn't this too dangerous for anyone responsible to consider?

And yet, there they were, available for adoption, and some, sure enough, being brought into families, even those with young children already in the home.

I couldn't understand it, so I decided that I'd look into it for myself.
The information I learned was eye-opening.

HIV+ adoptions are SAFE! HIV is easy to manage! Even in the event of blood contact, the likelihood of it spreading is so minimal that it truly is not a concern at all.
http://www.projecthopeful.org/get-involved/truth-pandemic

Suddenly, an entire population of needy children began to move my heart. These children are passed over, time and again. Children that, by normal standards, would be considered absolutely gorgeous and snatched up in a heartbeat, instead are not even considered, simply because of those three little letters that overshadow their names.

I implore you to read up on the truth about HIV. The link above takes you to Project Hopeful, which is a great non-profit organization with a mission to educate and find families for orphans who are HIV+.

If you are interested in learning more about any of the children below, visit Reece's Rainbow and type in the name to view their profile information.


Alina, born August 2004. 

Dean, born March 2009

Greg, born February 2005

Julia, born January 2005

Marcus, born September 2007

Max, born November 2009

Ricky, born February 2008

Yelena, born June 2004

Kenny, born October 2009

Thalia, born December 2008

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post Sarah!

The Happy Half Dozen said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! and way off topic but we just put in an offer on a house in Crystal Lake!

Holly said...

My husband and I are actually the ones that people don't understand. We will be adopting an HIV+ when he gets home from deployment. (this is kookyninny btw)