Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday

My brain is so tired I can't even recall if I've mentioned it here, but we are currently on our second trip, awaiting our big court date on Friday. Here's a (probably long-winded, sorry) snapshot of our day... (um, maybe novel is more appropriate. Feel free to skim read, I guess I had a bit to say!)


Wednesday:
Today was a good… actually, a GREAT day. Elisha was in a very good mood all day, happy to see us, happy to spend time with us. Yesterday she was a bit crabby and I think tired of us (I described it as having company at your house that overstays its welcome; you are happy to have them, but eventually just want normalcy back.) Today, though, she enjoyed her entire day with us.
We arrived at the orphanage about 9:30am. The kids were all playing, and, as always, Elisha was off doing her own thing. When she saw us, she ran over to give hugs. She is affectionate and friendly, but still wants her independence. We try to let her do her own thing; she’s nearly four, and, just like our kids at home, she’s happy to play on her own. She spends a lot of time in the mirror and loves to look at books. She does not really care for toys too much, although she does like baby dolls.
Our interpreter suggested we head down to the empty music room so that we could have a change of scenery. Thank goodness! I understand why the kids get bored quickly… the daily routine becomes monotonous for us, so I can only imagine how the kids feel. Elisha gets special treatment since we are there, and it is nice to have the little extras for her, but I feel sad that all the kids can’t get this same treatment.
So, down to the music room… new toys, change of scenery, and a kid that suddenly comes to life! She had so much fun. She loves stuffed animals, it turns out. There was a big bear that she kept playing with, making him sit on a chair and “walk” across the room. Then she took out a kitten and had the two animals sit next to each other, sat across from them, and proceeded to give some sort of instructions to them. Next she took out and played with a baby doll for a long time.
After our visit we sat down with the director of the orphanage and went over information we will need for court. We returned to our hotel for a quick lunch and nap, and then headed back for our afternoon visit.
Elisha was in great spirits again, and we were able to get a lot of great video of her. She was playing with Todd and one point and hit her cheek on the chair. She started crying (she already has a cut on the edge of her mouth, and she may have hit directly on it) and calling for Mama; as soon as I came over and held her, she cuddled up and was happy again. Kind of awesome that she already associates me as a source of comfort, right?!
I began signing “more” with her tonight, and by the end she was using it successfully. Todd captured a really cute moment on video. She loves “Itsy Bitsy Spider” and signs it along with me; when finished, I tell her to tell the camera “Paka” and “Bye” and she says “bye bye”… is this kid amazing or what?!
Tomorrow is our last visit. At some point I will write about our full experience, because being with the other children is a big deal to us as well. But for now, this will have to do. She’s adorable. She’s going to be a challenge, there is no doubt, and there will be a major adjustment for all of us. But she is sunshine. She is smart, and funny, and lovable, and interesting. She is also SUCH a typical four-year-old and wants her independence. I don’t think I’ve learned the true definition of busy yet, because I’m pretty sure putting her in a whole new environment is going to keep me on my toes. But she is so special, and people here see it in her, and I’m excited to think about all the possibilities that lie ahead for her.

Court is on Friday. Tomorrow (Thursday) we will visit Elisha in the morning, then take the afternoon train out of this city and head to the capitol city of this region to stay the night. We expect to take an evening train back to the main city, spend Saturday relaxing, and catch an early Sunday flight home. Please keep us in your prayers that court is a positive experience! The orphanage director has spoken kindly to us and told us she feels very good about us becoming Elisha’s new family, so that makes me feel a bit more confident. Still, after a year of paperwork, everything rides on this one specific day, so prayers are definitely appreciated!
Once she is officially ours we can share pictures and videos galore; I can’t wait, because if you thought she was cute before, just WAIT until you see this girl in action… she is a bundle of fun! 

3 comments:

The Peterson's said...

Will be praying! Very excited for you guys. The Lord goes before you, stand confident. :)

Blessings,
Amy

yuliya2m said...

Good luck on friday!

Jamie said...

Sounds wonderful. I am so excited for you guys. She is so amazing!