Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bump in the Road

We've hit a bump in the road.

Long story short, our region refuses to give us an invitation to travel at this moment in time.
It's only temporary, and it isn't anything regarding us personally.

There has only been one family before us to ever adopt a child with special needs from this region of the country.
Their adoption took place just a few months ago.

The region is being cautious, and wants a post-placement report from the family before giving us an invitation.
Their first post-placement report isn't due until December.

When I got the call telling me this, I broke down in tears. I can't fathom waiting that much longer to meet her. I can't fathom leaving her alone for so long.

But, then the good news came.
The family has already jumped into action, getting a post-placement report done immediately. It will be finished and sent as quickly as possible. Our prayer is that the region accepts this report, as well as our paperwork, at the same time.
The best case scenario is that this only sets us back weeks.

PLEASE PRAY for a best case scenario!!!

Am I sad?
Yes. Close to devastated, actually.

Do I see a silver lining?
Yes. A really thick, beautiful silver lining, in fact.

Our region has NEVER had a special needs adoption until this previous family came along.
The region is wanting to know that the child is doing well, and that the family is doing well.
They want to know that they made the right decision when they said yes.
They want to know that it was successful, because they want to be able to say yes to future families.
They want their orphans to have families.

What a testimony it will be when they see that, in fact, he is doing beautifully since he has come home. He is thriving, and his family is thriving. He is a changed little boy, and they are changed for the better as well.

I want their hearts to be at peace, knowing that saying yes was the right decision on their part.
I want their doors open to more international special needs adoptions.

And then, I want there to no longer be a need for these adoptions.

Our adoption, the previous family's adoption, the family behind us... we are opening doors for this region. We are saying, "See? These children ARE worthy of a family. They ARE valuable. Keep them. THEY ARE WORTH YOUR LOVE."

So, this delay is a bump in the road; it's life handing us lemons. Imagining the doors that this delay will open? That just a big ol' glass of our fresh-squeezed lemonade.







3 comments:

Julia said...

“This is what the LORD says to his anointed,
to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of
to subdue nations before him
and to strip kings of their armor,
to open doors before him
so that gates will not be shut:
I will go before you
and will level the mountains;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.
I will give you hidden treasures,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name.

What a realization. The Lord of Hosts is so in love with the Lost Ones lost away that He is leveling mountains for them. He is guiding families past the bars of iron and helping them discover the TREASURES that have been stored for far too long in SECRET PLACES. He is calling his babes out by name. One by One. Each one. What a joy for you to be taking part of such an amazing work the Lord is doing!!

Jaclyn M said...

I know just how heartbreaking this must be for you! Sending love prayers and hugs your way!! Praying it will only take a couple of weeks although I know each day feels like forever!!

Jamie said...

I am so bummed too, but I'm thankful that 1- The previous family is dealing with it quickly and 2- It will pave the way for a "yes" for your family and those that come after you.